Director of Business Development
Location: West Coast, California, Washington, or Colorado, United States
Job Number: 4528
Territory: West Coast
Location: San Francisco, San Diego, Los Angeles, Seattle, or Denver
About our Client
Our client is a rapidly growing, medium-sized CDMO company based that has been supporting drug development for over 25 years. The company is based in Europe and is considered a leading, one-source and fully integrated contract manufacturer worldwide. Our client’s focus is on early to mid-phase clinical development for small molecules and the company supports programs from preclinical through commercial supply. They adopt a phase appropriate development and manufacturing approach under cGMP conditions for both drug substance and drug products. Their strength lies in shortening lead times and centralizing the development processes for clients in a collaborative manner, through a phase based appropriate to analytical development and manufacturing processes. This is a high visibility role within the organization and offers career headroom opportunities as our client continues to expand their US-based Business Development team.
About the Position
Our client is looking for an ambitious and energetic Director of Business Development to represent and sell our client’s fully integrated service portfolio. The primary function of this role is to aggressively grow the West US region by hunting for new business opportunities and expanding existing business with established biopharma accounts. The Director of Business Development will pursue business opportunities that span across the full drug development life cycle via prospecting, building strong client relationships, forging new business partnerships, nurturing and qualifying leads, and maintaining high visibility within networking and trade organizations within the defined territory. A successful Director of Business Development will be technically sound and a strong hunter with the ability to develop mutually beneficial relationships with their clients and potential clients.
About the Job Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Biology or related life-science field is required. M.S. or Ph.D. is preferred.
- 2+ years of experience in business development in the CDMO or pharmaceutical space.
- Experience and understanding of small molecule drug development and drug substance manufacturing.
- Comfortable working across the broad spectrum of drug development including CMC services, drug substance, drug product, and bioanalysis.
- Ability to inspire customer confidence, promote and develop strong business relationships, and become the provider of choice for new and existing clients.
- Adept at handling multiple customer projects through effective time management, organizational skills, effective use of resources, and assessment of priorities.
- Strong relationship building skills across all disciplines within the company (technical, commercial, management, etc.).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Firm understanding of GLP and cGMP manufacturing requirements as well as regulatory and environmental issues relevant for the pharmaceutical industry.
- Solid team player who can maintain cohesiveness between the customer and internal teams and is comfortable working collaboratively in a project-centered organization.
- Tenacity and strong “hunting” skills.
- Determination and persistence to grow our client’s US-based business and market presence.
- Travel up to 30% as necessary.